SwitchBlox Rugged -40°C to +105°C Ethernet Switch
The Small, Ruggedized Ethernet Switch
SwitchBlox Rugged is an ultra-tough, 5 port, 10/100M ethernet switch designed for the world’s toughest environments. Let your drone go where no drone has gone before!
Unprecedented -40°C to +105°C Operation Range
Every single part on the BoM for SwitchBlox Rugged is rated for operation from -40°C to + 105°C (or more). We use military-grade passives, and the switch IC is automotive rated for use in the -40°C to + 105°C range. This makes SwitchBlox Rugged the most temperature tolerant commercially available switch, easily beating the competition’s rating (which tops out at 85°C). If you’re looking for the best reliability in networking for a harsh application, SwitchBlox Rugged is for you.
Extra Wide 5-65V Voltage Operation
Along with the wide temperature range, SwitchBlox Rugged can operate off any voltage from 5V to 60V (tolerant to 65V), with reverse and transient over-voltage protection onboard. You’ll have to work hard to kill this board.
Market-Leading Size and Cost
SwitchBlox Rugged retains the same footprint as SwitchBlox, making it far smaller than anything else on the market while retaining a price-point that makes it attractive enough for integration into your robot, drone, or other industrial equipment.
- SwitchBlox Rugged exposes RGMII on a stackable header, allowing two SwitchBlox Rugged to be stacked together to create a 10 port switch (unmanaged and managed).
- The stackable header also allows integration into any other board over RGMII. This can be used for network extension or in-band switch management (Developing an application? We can help, get in touch.)
- To stack two boards, you will need a pin header (MPN: M22-2520705), 8mm hex standoffs (MPN: 24382), and M2.5 machines screws (MPN: 29300).
- All boards are conformally coated to provide protection against ingress, even without integration into a chassis.
- SwitchBlox Rugged can supply downstream ports with power (PoE IEEE 802.3af) up to 15W (selectable per port).
- Port activity indicator signals can be brought off-board via an onboard connector.
- An STM32 is embedded onboard, allowing all the managed switch features of the KSZ8567S to be enabled (requires onboard firmware).
Plug and play network switch
As an unmanaged network switch, it works straight out the box, all you need to do is…
- Apply a 5 to 65V DC supply.
- Connect your devices using the included cable set.
- It will automatically begin forwarding packets, no coding or setup needed.
We’ve squeezed all necessary Ethernet circuitry into SwitchBlox without making performance compromises. We use magnetics for improved signal integrity and electrical isolation between each ethernet bus.
Compatibility with SwitchBlox
SwitchBlox Rugged is pin compatible, cable compatible, and footprint compatible with SwitchBlox, so can be used as a direct replacement.
We use Molex PicoBlade connectors on all our boards to keep them tiny, and we include all the cables needed to get started, which are…
5 x PicoBlade to RJ-45 300mm (SKU: BB-PBRJ1-4-0.3)
Use this cable to connect an external ethernet device with an RJ-45 port.
1 x PicoBlade to bare wires 300mm (SKU: BB-PBTL1-4-0.3)
Use this cable to connect a 5-60V DC Power Supply to power SwitchBlox Rugged.
- All parts rated for -40°C to + 105°C or wider temperature range
- Automotive rated ethernet switch IC
- USA supplied components only
- Thicker 2mm PCB substrate board for increased mechanical strength
- No heatsink required
- Board ships with a silicone conformal coating
- Small board with four equidistant mount holes to minimize strain
Input Voltage Range 5-60V (reverse protected) Power Consumption
600mW (Idle), 1200mW (Max) Ports
5 x 10/100Mb ports Operating Temperature -40 to +105°C Storage Temperature -55 to +125°C Dimensions
45mm x 45mm x 18mm PoE 15W (IEEE 802.3af)