Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Iperf3 test using USB to Ethernet converters with 2 wire ethernet

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share my experiences on here with some tests I have been carrying out.

I have recently been testing  some ethernet over 2 wire converters using iperf3.

I used two laps tops. one for the client and one for the server. The laptops did not have an RJ45 so I used ethernet to usb converters on both laptops.

Prior to integrating anything else into the system i run an iperf test using a standard cat5e cable connected with the Ethernet to usb converters and got an average result on iperf of 920Mbps.

I then connected the 2wire converters into the system. The results were very sporadic. I though it was maybe a faulty unit or setting, but after much testing i found that if the server computer was left alone during the test, the bandwidth data would jump from say 600Mbps to 180Mbps and anything in between.

If i continuously used the server computer, like opening files, typing, playing a youtube video, the bandwidth results were alot more stable.

I then used a desk top pc as the server that had an RJ45 connector. The test would now be, laptop as the Client using a  ethernet to usb adaptor. two wire converter and the desktop (server) had the ethernet cable plugged straight in.

This time I had no bandwidth issues and a steady 600Mbps consistently.

The last thing I did was use the -w1m command. When i use this command I get a steady 920Mbps through the two wire converter.

While the ethernet to usb converters seem to work well in most circumstances, it appears to dont like to be used (as a pair) when 2 wire converters are used at the same time.

Just putting this out there to save a lot of headaches like I had and also would like to know if anyone has seen this before.

Both Josh and Aaron have been extremely helpful

All the best

Paul

joshelijah has reacted to this post.
joshelijah