Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Arcnet over serial or ethernet

Hi,

I have two devices that are connected using Arcnet. I want to control these devices over my existing ethernet network. I have seen some items that can convert from Arcnet to RS232. Has anyone seen a way of connecting Arcnet to an ethernet switch ?

All the best

Paul R

Hi Paul,

As far as I know, there isn't a single device or IC that can perform that conversion. There's a number of ARCNet controllers (eg COM20022I-HT), but they appear to be fully fledged microcontrollers rather than transceivers.

Have you tried converting from Arcnet to RS232, then using an RS232 to Ethernet converter?

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reply. I have not tried the RS232 option yet but that looks to be the way i may need to go. The only other option i have seen is Arcnet to USB then usb to ethernet.

Yes, I did stumble across this

https://www.sohard.de/en/products/arcnet/gateway/sh-arc-gateway.

It looks like it sits on the ARCNET network as a node, then converts to TCP/IP. I'm guessing that it uses an ARCNET transceiver, a microcontroller and a 10BASE-T transceiver, all while running some custom firmware to make it work.

Probably quite a niche thing; if you can get it working with cheaper converters then all the better!

Let us know how you get on.